Date of project:
- September 2006 – May 2007 (CHI conference)
- Our team of four has developed a carpooling application for our SI 682: User Interface Design class
- We interviewed users and conducted literature research, then compiled our data in an affinity digram to decide on the current system
- We used personas and scenarios to further flesh out our ideas
- We then conducted user testing with several users to improve our prototype
- We submitted a paper on CarLoop to the CHI 2007 Student Design Competition, and were one of twelve teams selected
- At the end of April, we flew to San Jose and presented our poster for the CHI competition.
- This was one of my first projects when I started at the School of Information, and it was a real crash course in not only user-centered design methodology, but serious group organization. I fell into the role of organizer, and I adapted well. I handled much of the project management, and I also developed most of our web-based prototype. I wrote and edited significant portions of our paper, and played a key role in designing the poster in Adobe Illustrator. Overall, it was a very valuable learning experience.