Welcome to my site! I currently live in Broomfield, CO, where I work remotely as the Product Design Lead for Very Good Security, the industry leader in securing sensitive data. Before that, I led design at RightScale, the leading cloud management SaaS platform. I began at RightScale in 2010, and during my time there I evangelized user-centered design throughout the company and grew a team of talented designers and researchers who made RightScale the leading cloud management platform as measured by top analysts Gartner and Forrester.
My professional philosophy
- Whether it is designing a complex new product, building a team of talented designers, or hiking to the highest peak in Colorado, I set lofty goals and push myself to complete them.
- I love mentoring aspiring professionals and seeing them grow in their career.
- I believe that a key role for any manager is to create a comfortable space free from unnecessary distractions and stressors so that each employee can do their best possible work to create products that customers love.
- I am a strong supporter of Lean principles, and I work to cultivate an environment where cross-functional teams of developers, designers, and product managers collaborate closely together to move stories forward rather than throwing deliverables over a siloed wall.
- I believe in establishing KPIs for projects early and gathering the necessary data to measure success.
- I am comfortable wearing many hats, and being an active contributor to design, user research, analytics, and even front-end development.
The environment I work to cultivate
- Each team member is intrinsically motivated to do great work, and everyone celebrates both individual and team successes.
- Each person’s ideas are carefully considered, but everyone is also comfortable moving past them if they aren’t the best direction for a product.
- Good design is a core aspect of the culture, and decision makers believe that a poor user experience is a barrier to release rather than something to be ignored.
- Success is driven by outcomes, not outputs, and the definition of done includes measures of success.
- Regardless of background, anyone can succeed, diversity is celebrated, and harassment is not tolerated in any form.
On the lighter side
- I volunteer for local causes, including the Broomfield Sister Cities and Broomfield Cleanup Days.
- I previously organized the Santa Barbara UX meetup and founded the Santa Barbara UX Book Club. Today, I support a number of local UX meetups at different levels, including the Denver UX Meetup, the Denver UX Bookclub, the Boulder UX/UI meetup, the Boulder UX Research Meetup, as well as serving as a mentor for Hexagon UX.
- Like many Colorado residents, I enjoy the outdoors.
- In the summer, you will find me hiking, biking, and camping in the mountains
- In the winter I may be skiing, snowshoeing, or curled up with a book in front of a fire.
- I’m an avid reader of both nonfiction and fiction.
- I have a large collection of board games and participate in several gaming meetups.
- I love theater, and have a membership with the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.